Usted se encuentra en  Omitir vínculos de navegaciónHOME EN HOME ABOUT US HISTORY OF SM



Santa María Marianistas opens its doors to the wonderful world of the Internet to share its history and work as the alma mater of great men throughout its institutional life.

The history of the Santa Maria Marianistas began in the 1930s, when a group of parents had the idea of founding a bilingual school managed by a religious congregation. Providing their children with the benefits of learning the English language was one of their main concerns.

After some negotiations with several congregations, the Apostolic Nuncio Monsignor Fernando Cento was able to commit to the Society of Mary in St. Louis, Missouri, represented by the Reverend Bro. Eugenio Paulin, Provincial Inspector.

Due to his intercession, the coming of the first group of Marianists to Peru was scheduled. They were Rev. Fr. Bernard Blemker and the Brothers Theodore Noll, Mathias Kessel and Robert Russ, all of whom arrived in Lima on March 1, 1939.

Our school was inaugurated on April 1st of that year, in a mansion on the third block of Avenida Arequipa in Miraflores.

The school had 65 students (11 of them in 7th grade) in six classrooms, three Marianist teachers and twelve Peruvian teachers, all of them led for the first two years by Rev. Fr. Bernard Blemker, whose life was intimately linked to the school for forty years until his death in 1979.

In 1940, we received the visit of the Marianist Provincial Fr. Silvester Juergens. In mid-1941, 16,000 m² (over 3 acres and 41,000 sq ft) were acquired between the Santa Cruz and Conquistadores avenues in San Isidro. Completing the plot, 4,000 m² (about 43,000 sq ft) were also acquired for the Santa María Reina parish.

In 1942, and for the next five years, Fr. Albert Mitchell became the Principal after Rev. Fr. Blemker’s return to the US. The school had 210 students at that time. Brother Mathias Kessel organized the implementation of a Boy Scouts program.

From the beginning, the school wanted to provide an all-round education with special attention to a religious upbringing and the teaching of the English language. The American clergymen at the school taught their respective courses in their own language. Other teachers were responsible for courses in Spanish. The use of English became mandatory, even during recess and lunch hours. Popular sports included hockey, fencing, baseball, archery, and football.

In December 1943, the first class graduated: Carlos Alvarez Calderón, Carlos Basadre, Walter Delaney, Ivan Genit, Carlos Ludowieg, Perley Moore, Alfonso Noriega, Jaime King, Jaime Rizo-Patrón, Manuel Rospligliosi, Alejandro Tudela, Francisco Valdez and José Valle. The first issue of the "Lábarum" magazine, one of the most important traditions of the school, was then published.

In 1944, Santa Maria’s sixth year of operation, there were 280 students. The President of Peru at the time, Dr. Manuel Prado, visited our school.

In 1948, and for the next three years, Bro. George Lytle became the Principal. Brother Lytle was a Science teacher and had worked in Santa Maria since 1943. In that year, Bro. Mark Ross and Fr. Robert Heil came to our school. Fr. Heil took over the basketball team that was to bring so much joy to Santa Maria over the years. .

LThe SM Alumni Association was organized in 1948, with Jaime Rizo-Patrón ‘43 as its first president. In August, 1951, Bro. Theodore Noll, one of the Marianist founders of our school, assumed the leadership, serving as Principal for five years, and then returned to St. Louis. Father Robert Heil administered SM from 1957 until the end of 1960.

Father Roberto Heil administered SM from 1957 until the end of 1960. The number of students had grown and this made it necessary to open three sections per grade. However, instead of adding new sports and recreational areas to the already existing buildings, a decision was made to build a new campus.

In 1957, 202,000 m² (just shy of 50 acres) were purchased from the Chacarilla del Estanque Estate, in Monterrico.

The first stone of the new facility was blessed in 1958. The first part of the building was inaugurated in 1960, which included the ten classrooms of the Central Pavilion, laboratory, cafeteria, library, kitchen, well, and water tank. The older students (those in the last three grades) were moved to the new campus, while the other students remained in San Isidro.

En 1961 fue nombrado como Director el Hno. Paul Zeis (1960 - 1963)Other Santa Maria Principals included Brother Paul Zeis (1960-63), Fr. Lawrence Jordan(1964-67), Brother William McCarthy (1968-70), and Brother Leonard Rudy (1971-72).

En 1973, el Hno. Julio Corazao, exalumno del SM, integrante de la Promoción XV asumió la responsabilidad de conducir el colegio hasta 1977. En 1978 fue nombrado Director el Profesor Domingo Lanseros Tábara, primer Director laico que tuvo el SM.

In 1981, Bro. Fred Fink took charge until 1985. Brother Julio Corazao then assumed the leadership of the school for the second time until 1989.

In 1990, Juan Canal Trint, a teacher at SM, became the Principal. In 1993, Rev. Fr. Jorge Roos took the wheel until 1998.

In 1999, the school was entrusted to Dr. Carlos Rainusso until 2003.

In the year 2004, Eduardo Pecol became the Principal of our school until his sudden passing in 2007.

Aresio Viveros de Castro was then appointed principal until 2010.

In the year 2011, our current Principal, Gali Orbegoso, assumed the leadership of our institution.

Santa Maria’s contributions towards making our country great have been, and still are, quite important. Our alumni are scattered all over our national territory and the world. Among them are bishops, clergymen, secretaries of state, legislators, university professors, judges, members of the armed institutes and the diplomatic corps, mayors, and men who have excelled in commerce, banking, and industry.

Santa Maria is currently immersed in a restructuring program that encompasses the totality of its organization.

This, together with the 1996-2000 Development Plan of the Marianist Educational Institutions of Peru, will make Santa Maria Marianistas step into the third millennium with confidence and a firm step.

Ver mapa más grande
Av. La Floresta 250
Chacarilla del Estanque
Santiago de Surco

Telf: 372-1831
Fax: 372-1832


Copyright © 2016 Santa Maria Marianistas School